VERSION 2.0.0 PUBLISHED

The long awaited support for VSAM artifacts is now made available in version 2.0.0.  The diagram editor’s data model was modified to support the extra data for records and sets, hence the major version upgrade.

Along the development of the VSAM support feature, a lot of work was put in learning the Groovy programming language (as a result of reading some fine Groovy related books during the last year or so), for writing easier to write and better to maintain test cases (using, eventually, the Spock Test Framework).  I even developed a DSL (Domain Specific Language) to make creating test contexts easier as well.  Although care has been taken to thoroughly test everything, it is still quite possible that not everything will work for you; if you find yourself in that situation, do NOT hesitate to send me a mail and I will try to fix your problem asap.

So, what else is new in this release ?

  • When an error occurs on a schema import, you should now get a more decent error reporting dialog and no longer a tiny empty one. Finding the problem on an import wasn’t always easy until now, so I hope this fix makes life easier.
  • In contrast to the CA IDMS documentation, which, for sorted sets, specifies that “No element that redefines another element or is subordinate to an element that redefines another element can be used in the sort control element”, such elements are now allowed in a set’s sort key (this was a problem for one diagram editor user, so apparently this constraint isn’t enforced by the CA IDMS schema compiler and that is the reason I removed this check).
  • New tabs in the Properties view :
    • VSAM CALC :  control the vsam-calc-location-mode-specification clause for VSAM CALC records.
    • VSAM Type :  control the VSAM TYPE clause for VSAM and VSAM CALC records.
    • Index :  control the indexed-set-mode-specification clause for indexed sets.

I would have liked to add a tab for records and sets, showing the DSL, but I didn’t manage to build the project with Maven because of the Groovy classes involved.  I looked at Gradle and the (don’t laugh) wuff plug-in, and they seem promising, but I guess it would take several weeks to get this under control.  So that is something to look out for in the future 🙂

 

Advertisements

One thought on “VERSION 2.0.0 PUBLISHED”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s